Tumeke Touch team
- Brian's touch-rugby team had their big tournament in Portland on Saturday. It was an all day affair- I think they played six or seven games. Me and the kids went down to watch and the kids had a blast playing with the other kids and running around the fields all day. Even after six hours McKay was still not ready to go home. I don't know much about rugby, or actually I guess I should technically be calling it "touch", but it was fun to see them play. It's pretty confusing to watch if you don't know the rules (which I don't) and they are constantly running the whole game. They never stop running until it's over. It's fun to see Brian do something he loves so much.
- I took lots of pictures on Saturday and sadly enough I didn't get any good shots of Brian doing anything interesting on the field. Maybe I was too busy watching him? But believe me, he did lots of interesting stuff on the field. Obviously, New Zealanders love rugby, so this game brings out a lot of kiwis living Portland. Brian has said more than once how much he loves being around kiwis again (he served his mission in NZ) so I'm thinking that is part of the draw for him.
- On the way to church today we were talking about how to behave in our classes. After asking the kids a series of reverence questions, I then added, "Who's going to have fun at church today?" McKay's response: "I am! I love church. I'm a church-man! I'm a church-missionary! I'm a church-prophet!" Ellery then enthusiastically added, "I'm a church-married-princess!"
- Last week at church, our little church-man said the prayer and scripture in primary. His scripture was, "Jesus said, Come Follow Me." He said both on his own and only stumbled a bit when trying to remember which scripture in Luke he had quoted. Brian and I were surprised at how not shy he is. It was also interesting to hear him pray on his own in that setting. He has definitely picked up the phrases that are often heard in primary prayers. He is cute.
- Last week McKay went swimming with one of his friends and his family. It was so sweet of my friend to take him along because McKay loves all her boys (she has six!). On the way home from the pool there was a little road-rage from the car behind them. This man pulled up next to their car, reached down, pulled out a gun and cocked it- all because he felt he'd been cut off. He didn't point it at them, but was clearly sending a dangerous message. We were all so grateful that nothing more happened, but it sure shook us up. McKay actually thought it was kind of exciting, but he didn't see the guy or the gun- thankfully- so I imagine all the nervous energy it brought did seem exciting to him.
- Ellery observed that we (meaning her and I) have hair on our heads and Daddy and McKay don't have hair on their heads. She also is very into informing people, "My brother has a buzz," at random.
- I took the kids outside the other day to play. McKay wanted to play baseball, so I brought along a big blue ball for Ellery to hit, instead of the little softball that McKay uses. Guess who is SO not interested in baseball? She has become such a girly-girl and apparently has aspirations to become a cheerleader and a princess, which is what she told a man we were sitting by at Brian's rugby game.
- I recently bought agave nectar for the purpose of sweetening my smoothies. I love it. That's all.
- So at my last doctor's appointment we discussed the timing of this baby. Dr. said that I should plan on going two weeks early with this one, since that's what I did with the others. If that's the case then I have four weeks to go. If I make it to September then that's great. If I got past my September 9th due date I might die.
- Pretty much I am a big, grumpy lady. I have never felt this way before. Just being in this body makes me irritable. My poor family. Really, it's sad for them. I am overly-sensitive and don't have a lot of tolerance for anything that bugs me. Today on the way home I had a slight breakdown (slight meaning crying a bit but really feeling like bawling) because well-meaning people at church told me I look miserable, or told me I look like I'm done, or asked me if I was due any day now. I am done. I am miserable. But please don't tell me I look that way too. Just say I look cute. Just lie.
- I wouldn't feel as bad if my face wasn't huge. There is no hiding your face. It's just right there all the time. Plus, it's covered in brown splotches that people can only assume are huge freckles. They're not freckles.
- I know I'm complaining a lot about this, but just so you're not worried about her- I am rubbing my belly frequently and tell this baby that I love her and I'm happy she's coming. She doesn't take it personal. We're okay, me and her.
- Okay, I'm done complaining.
- Ellery has started a fun little habit of tattling on Brian for pretty much any interaction they have that she sees as negative. "Mo-om, dad says I have to clean up." "Mo-om, dad called me a monkey-face." He does a lot of negative stuff to her, judging by the amount of tattles I hear.
- Speaking of tattling, isn't that one of the most awkward issues to explain to a child? When they are the ones tattling on other kids you tell them not to. But then sometimes they should. . .but how to explain the difference? Then, if they are being tattled on by a friend you act like you needed to know and that it's okay that the friend tattled, and you discipline them accordingly. So basically, it's okay for others to tattle, but not you. That's the message I feel like I'm giving.
- The other night at dinner we were discussing what to name our baby. Someone brought up a silly name and then that started a whole slew of silly names. Ellery's were my favorite: Milk-Mouth, Evelyn Poop, and Ugly Muffin.
Happy Sunday to you.
3 comments:
I remember getting those same comments from people while pregnant with #3. The other fun one is "you look tired" or "you look like you're ready to pop any day now". I've seen your prego pics on your blog and I think you look great!
I've been trying to explain tattling to Natalie... the only thing I can come up with is if it's dangerous (i.e. if it will hurt her, or someone else) tell me. If not, work it out with them herself.
I wouldn't lie, Sarah. I think you're always cute, pregnant or not.
And I think you should name her Ugly Muffin.
Girl I have been there (four times to be exact) and the youngest is now 21 and life is great and all you have to do is hang in there. It is all good. And there will be wonderful surprises.
And you DO look cute. Not miserable, not done, not anything but fantastic.
I've taught my children their whole lives to, one, NEVER assume a woman is pregnant unless she tells you so herself; and, two, NEVER to say anything about a pregnant woman's appearance except: "You look wonderful! How on earth do you do it?"
God bless as you anticipate a safe delivery! Now go sit down and put your feet up.
Post a Comment