Mack, looking like a missionary with his newly acquired button collection, and a backpack full of crayons and snacks. . .what you can't see is the little Jewish cap he has on his head that he wanted to wear to church. "But I AM Jewish, mom!"
- I'm sitting here in a quiet house while my two boys are at church and Ellery, aka pinkeye, is taking a rest. When we found out that Elle had pinkeye I was the first to jump at the chance to stay home with her. Maybe I didn't even jump. Maybe I leaped. If you know me well, you know that I hate staying home from church. I always prefer to be the one to go if one of us has to stay home with a sick kid. But not today. Today I am happy that I don't have to squeeze into an uncomfortable outfit and sit upright for three hours. And I'm happy that no will have to see me do that. And I'm happy that no one will talk to me about how much longer I have left or how uncomfortable I look. Yes, I'm quite happy right here in my sweats, reading the Ensign and taking my own rest. Thanks pinkeye.
- No really, pinkeye is totally gross! My kids have never had this before. I hate it. I feel extremely upset that just before I am due to have a baby I have this gross, goopey infection floating around my house. Poor little Ellery woke up this morning with one eye glued shut. At first, she thought it was really beautiful that we kept saying she had pinkeye. Now she yells at us, "I don't have a pink eye!" That's when we're trying to put her antibiotic eye drops in. She doesn't like that at all. Thankfully, the eye drops are working and it's already getting better. By tomorrow she shouldn't be contagious anymore.
- Back to the boys who are at church. They looked exactly like twins as I kissed them goodbye. Gray pants, white shirts, black shoes and belts, fuzzy, shaved heads. It was precious. Since I am not there with my big bag to hold coloring books and snacks, McKay packed a little backpack and thinks he is the man for carrying his own backpack to church. He brought enough snacks to feed the primary.
- Last week as we were driving to church I recognized that I had more jewelry on than normal. Necklace, earrings, bracelets and even a ring. It suddenly seemed completely ridiculous to me that we decorate ourselves with jewelry. We're just putting decorations on our bodies. For what? Not that I don't like doing it, but isn't it funny if you really think about it? I shared this with Brian, who agreed with me and made some snarky comment about how women do that kind of thing. But I was quick to point out the non-functional tie decoration hanging from his neck. Nothing snarky after that!
- Portland is experiencing another heat wave. Brian and I laugh at how crazy the news gets when they have a "heat wave". The news coverage is equivalent to an earthquake or something. Anyway, it really has been quite hot, which has kept us inside a lot the last few days. The kids did enjoy it when we filled up a big storage bin as a makeshift pool for them to play in.
- I read a quote this week from Gordon B. Hinckley about parenting:
"You parents, love your children. . .You need more than your own wisdom in rearing them. You need the help of the Lord. Pray for that help and follow the inspiration which you receive."
- This has inspired me to more than ever pray for direction as I raise these babies of mine. Up until now I have felt that they are too young and that we haven't really started that phase yet. This week it seems that everywhere I look I am reminded that this is not the case. It's not too soon to pray for help and inspiration as I interact and guide them. Maybe I'm late to the game on this, but the experiences I've had that have directed me to these thoughts have most definitely caused me to change my view on things. So grateful that no matter what- no matter how insignificant our worries or concerns may seem- we are not alone as we raise our children. This brings me great comfort.
- Brian has his last clinical tomorrow! After that he just has class once a week and then a couple finals to get through. I'm so, so, so happy that this baby is coming during his time off.
- Nesting is in full swing around here. Typically, I have been pretty crazy with what I want to do or get done before I have a baby. This time is different. Maybe because my house is newer and cleaner and we just moved in a year ago. Maybe because I just don't have it in me to be more uptight. I don't know, but my list isn't as overwhelming this time and I'm enjoying that. Still have plenty to do to keep me busy though. I'm working on decorating the baby's room, which has been fun. I'm in the process of making a few things and I just hope they turn out as cute in real life as they are in my head. That doesn't always happen for me.
- I got out all the baby clothes and blankets and washed them. As I was folding a basket full of clothes I think it hit Brian that we are having another baby. It's always funny to witness this happening to him. You know, the moment he realizes that there will be another child in his life. That this is real. This is pretty much spot-on timing for him as well. The last month is when it happens.
- Let me tell you something that I have mixed feelings about. Brian is running the Hood-to-Coast relay after all. Initially he wasn't going to be able to because of a final, but then he got the "go-ahead" from his program director, and so that was that. He was so happy that it worked out. I am happy for him. I know he really wants to do it. It's a really neat opportunity. But. Then. Part of me is feeling mad because now I have all this added pressure to not give birth on those two days. And part of me wonders, "what if he totally misses it?" He could. He probably won't, but he could. Me and this un-named baby girl do not like this kind of pressure. It makes us nervous. And you never know what will happen if we get nervous. And. On top of all that pressure, think of the backlash we might get if we happen to go into labor on that day and he misses the race? Think of it! We will never live it down.
- On a positive note, Brian said, "If I miss it, then you can name the baby whatever you want and I won't say anything." I said, "Um, hello obvious!" Of course I would do that. I wouldn't even bother to ask. Then I would say, "Say hello to your daughter, Cosette." and he would have to.
- Don't worry. I really do love Brian. . .even if he says the name Cosette is equivalent to naming a son Pierre.
Happy Sunday!
4 comments:
Sorry about the pink eye. My older sister had that run through her whole family the week that she gave birth to her 3rd. I hope that doesn't happen to you and that you especially don't get it. You don't need to be anymore uncomfortable that you already are, I'm sure.
I was there Sarah six short weeks ago. I remember wanting to stay home from church to avoid those questions, the nesting, the not having a name. Hang in there! You're so close :)
Oh the name game. :)
We experiened this with Gracen.
I wanted Lola, Desmond wanted Jamie. You know how that turned out.
By the way, absolutely love Cosette, I think you should do it.
Hang in there, your kids are darling, so absolutely darling!
I love McKay in his church clothes! He's so handsome. I miss that kind of Sunday attire. It is just too blasted hot here. I feel like I'm torturing my boys to put them in their real church clothes, so they wear khaki shorts, polos, and navy tennis shoes. They look very Southern, but not totally church-worthy. I'm excited for winter.
Post a Comment