Saturday, February 2, 2008

January 31, 2008 - Potty Day

Ahh. Two days have passed since the infamous Potty Day. We are making progress.... This morning I began to emerge from my potty training induced depression brought on by yesterday's events. I used a book that Lisa has used with five of her seven kids. It worked really well for her, so I thought I would give it a try. The idea is that you can potty train your child in less than a day- about five hours to be more specific. So on Wednesday night I began my preparations. I peirced a hole into a rubber doll, filled it with water and made it some cute pink panties out of a pair of Ellery's tights (used to have McKay teach the doll how to go potty if you're wondering). I crammed, reading the hundred-pluse page book in just a couple hours. I went to Target and bought an abundance of edible bribes and drinks. Well, Thursday morning came and my brilliant little two and a half year old was amazing. In the first hour and a half McKay told me when he had to pee four different times and made it to the potty each time. I was in awe of how fast he caught on to the concept of using the little potty. He was doing even better than example in the book, my gifted child! Well, I'm sure those of you who have potty trained a kid know that this elation was short lived. After those four expertly executed pees, he then had accident after accident after accident. Two of them being number two. It's like he had forgotten everything, plus, at the books suggestion, we had given him candy and treats galore, for every pee and dry pants check. McKay was on a sugar high like I'd never seen before. Up to this point, I honestly didn't think sugar affected him much, but oh I was wrong. Brian and I were frustrated to say the least. But we hoped for a better day to come on Friday. McKay was so exhausted that first night (and so was I) that he was sound asleep by seven o'clock.

Well, Friday didn't bring much relief, and I spiraled into the above mentioned depression. I guess I like being in control, and I definitely was not in control of this. McKay had yeat to go number two anywhere but his pants and only went to the potty when we suggested it. Using this book was supposed to produce a child who could go potty and empty the little potty into the big toliet all by themself. No parents required. Well, McKay was definitely not doing this. Not even close. Oh we were so frustrated. Brian and I had to take turns being calm and patient with him. Every time I would want to yell and squeeze him, Brian would step in and take over, and vice versa. I have never wanted to harm my babies, ever, and I consider myself to be a pretty patient parent, but not then. Then I just wanted to spank his wet little bum. We decided to get out of the house we had been couped up in for two days straight before we both lost it at the same time and with the little potty in tow, headed to grandma's. This was the turning point. McKay was so excited to show off to his aunts and grandparents that he started going in the potty again. We only had one accident there because he got a little too distraced while playing, and considering what had been going on at our house that was a huge improvment. He did great, and we all needed the break. Grandma, Grandad and Brian's sisters were very helpful and I think it helped all of us to just get away from the situation a little bit.

Today is a completely new day. We all woke up refreshed and ready for anything. I had surrendered the idea that McKay wasn't going to be like the example in the book. That book was a good way to introduce potty training to him, but it didn't end there for us like the book suggested. As soon as I realized that he still needed me involved to remind him and guide him through it, my attitude changed completely and my patience returned- thank goodness! Even when this morning after he told me he had to poop, sat on the potty for a few minutues, changed his mind, hid in the closet thirty seconds after he hopped off the pot and went in his pants, I was still calm. He's only had that one accident today though and he's imroved a ton since yesterday. Imagine my complete delight when he runs in from his room and tells me he has to poop! We plopped him on the potty and he did it. And it was fabulous! I've never been so excited to see poop in my entire life...well that's not entirely true...I was pretty thrilled when Elle went after a seven day dry spell...but still I was very happy. We danced and screamed and cheered and hugged and even took a picture to show daddy. And, after all he's been through, McKay finally got to have his candy souci (pacifier), aka a ring pop, as his reward! He was one happy, sticky kid and I am one proud mama. We still have a long way to go, I'm sure, but today is a much brighter day.

5 comments:

The Reichmans said...

Congrats! That is so exciting! It sounded like quite the adventure. It is funny how kids make us excited about the simplest things in life.

Flinders Family said...

I'm so glad he's doing better! Yeah McKay!

Dani said...

I am glad you found me. You have such a cute family. Send me your email so i can invite you to view my blog because I made it private and I don't have your email. My email is dani2613@yahoo.com

shannyn said...

Mckay is doing so well. congrats!!!

the buff and stuff said...

you're the best mom i know! potty training is by far the hardest most, patience testing thing i've had to do thus far, agree? he's so smart though i bet he's already got it by now. by the way you won a shirt from me!